The importance of innovation and how we approach itWe’re determined to lead the change towards a circular economy in our industry. To do that and to be able to keep offering our customers the best products available, we invest heavily in innovation.
Have there been any other improvements worth mentioning?
– Sure, and we work with such improvements constantly. These innovations are often minor tweaks that however have a big impact for our clients and for the environment. For example, we have improved processing, production and properties such as compressive and bending strength as well as water absorption. We also look at density, which can save our customers quite a lot.
Is it possible to develop EPS further?
– Sure, we already have and keep striving to do that everyday. But to develop something that will completely revolutionize EPS as a product, I find it unlikely.
How do you work with innovation?
– We’re fairly practical about it and currently work with several well-defined projects and they keep us occupied. But we do have time allocated for research and investigative work, where we look for new ideas that may merit further studying.
Do you work together with customers in your innovation projects?
– We constantly work together with customers. Their feedback and thoughts are invaluable to us and often serve as pointers to where we should look in order to improve our products further.
How is BEWI RAW organized for innovation?
– We have two sites, Etten-Leur and Porvo. At the former, we’re currently in a process of bringing all R&D departments together so that we have everything in one place, just as the setup is at the Porvoo site. At both sites we have the equipment and facilities required to do our work. These include labs, pilot reactors and scales, to name a few.
What do you do on any given day?
– We’re most likely running batches in our pilot reactors and trials in our pilot-scale moulding machines and pre-expanders. We’re also probably busy with lab-scale testing and performing different lab analyzes and physical test analyses as well as testing the final product in different ways.
Why do we innovate and why is it important?
– The innovation is fundamental to all companies. Everything is constantly changing and if you don’t adapt, if you don’t innovate yourself, then you won’t last. Today, change is at a pace not seen before, and that adds to the pressure on everyone working with innovation. We have to be fast and active in order to quickly react and adapt when something changes in the business or industry.
How does it show that innovation is a part of BEWI’s strategy?
– We have established innovation on group level, which will further strengthen our focus on innovation and increase resources for us. Eventually it will show in results such as more new products, technologies and processes that we offer the market.